Merry & Bright: Scrapbook Paper- Covered Cardboard Letters (DIY Holiday)

Hello, and happy December to you! This is the only month of winter that I like...you can keep whatever's left after New Years. But December keeps me too busy to remember that I'm slowly freezing to death. 

Today was especially busy, because it was my first day back to work after an 8-week post-operative leave. It was so great to see everyone and I really appreciated the warm welcome, but I'm still a bit drowsy these days. I should be shaking that off soon!

Yesterday, I showed you a sneak peek of today's project. Here's the finished pic in case you missed it:
This is a really inexpensive and relatively simple project. Here's what you'll need to make your own:

- Cardboard
- Marker to either draw or trace your letters (stencils are optional)
- Exacto knife
- A selection of coordinating scrapbook papers. 
- Glue stick or spray adhesive
- Ribbon, string or twine to hang each letter 

Directions:

1.  Choose your Christmas phrase. I used "Merry + Bright," but you can use a line from your favorite song or hymn, from your favorite Christmas movie, or just a standard "Merry Christmas." 

2. Draw or trace each letter of your phrase on your cardboard. (I drew my letters by hand onto free broken down cardboard boxes from a local store; I'm sure you can find a good source, too, if your garage or basement happen to be miraculously box free!) Be sure to avoid bends or breaks in the cardboard; otherwise, you'll need to add an extra step and reinforce the letters with masking tape. 

3. Using a sharp Exacto knife, cut out your letters. (Straight lines are easy, curves are a bit tricky. You'll get the hang of it with a bit of practice!) ⚠️ Remember to cut on surfaces that won't be marred by razor cuts!!!

4. Once all your letters are cut, determine your paper layout. For example, I alternated red and green, and a total of 4 seperate patterns. Do a broad trim of your papers for each letter, leaving at least 1 1/2 allowance all around the letter.   

5. Have your sorted and matched papers face down beside the accompanying letter. Glue your letter face down on the paper. 

6. Using your Exacto knife, make diagonal cuts in the paper at every angle and curve of the letter, and make an "x" shape within every circle. I was bad and didn't take pics of this, so here's a hand drawn example, using a purple "x" and red circles to represent most of the cutting lines. 


7. With the cuts made, you can easily wrap the paper snugly around the edges and secure with glue. Use your Exacto knife or scissors to trim any remaining overlapping paper. 

8. Attach ribbon to the back of each letter, hang up, and sing your favorite Christmas tune!! ❄️

Be sure to tell me about your project!

And before I sign off for the night, I want to show you my awesome vintage gift from a generous freecycler today:

I'm loving this star, which found a perfect home behind my new nativity set - a Thanksgiving gift from my parents. I'm really thankful to all of ya'll!!!

What gifts are you incorporating in your decor this year? Any special vintage finds? Do tell!!!

Off to sleep I go....

Stay sassy, 
- Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment