Holiday DIY: Orange Poms (Various types and sizes)

So, I was on a total orange craft kick last night.  Lucky for me, this particular project will work in my family room from Halloween through New Years Eve.  (Yes!!! Multipurposing and multitasking are my things!) Here's my other completed DIY project for your viewing pleasure:



Like all the projects I admit to (the others get no mention because they tend to be flops), these adorable flower-like poms are incredibly easy, require no extreme precision (the bane of my existence), and costs very, very little.  Three simple steps. And the end result makes me smile.  Follow along if you want to -make some smiles of your own..... 



 MATERIALS:
 You don't need much at all to do this....
the poms you see in the picture above began life as two cheap orange tablecloths.  I like orange, and now is the time of year to find orange things.  But you can choose any color you like.

I purchased these at Five Below for $1 each.  They're the thin, plastic-y kinds that don't hold up as tablecloths, but make lovely poms! I used a spool of coordinating ribbon that I already had on hand - purchased last year at Micheal's the day after Halloween for practically nothing. You'll need some scissors, too.  That's it.  Maybe a coctail and your favorite tv show? This project doesn't take much concentration.  It can be a zen-like experience if you prefer - poofing the tissue layers is very relaxing.  It is a bit messy, though, so you may want to keep a garbage bag at hand for when you make the cuts....unless you like confetti.  That's what I have on my floor right now.  It's rather cheerful, I think.  Hubbie disagrees, however......   but enough chatting, let's get going!

STEP #1

Here's the tablecloth, only partially unfolded.  I did not unfold it more than this - about 25%.  As you'll notice in the very first picture, I made different sizes of poms.  For the two large poms, I used one entire table cloth, divided in half.  For the smallest six, I used one "panel" (as denoted by the lengthwise fold marks) for each pom.  I used the remaining two "panels" for a moderate size pom. 




STEP 2

After cutting the size you've determined (this pic shows one of the smaller "panels" as described above), you simply fold your piece into accordion folds - over and under, roughly equal portions, scored by pressing with your fingers.  You have two choices as to how to do this, and they both work well - I know, because I just had to experiment on your behalf.  You can either accordion fold along the short edge or along the longer edge of the rectangle. (In other words you can make lots of little folds for the length of the "panel," or you can make a few longer folds along the width.  Once your folds are done, you pinch it in the middle. What you do next depends on which strategy you choose - long or short folds.  (At least if you want a nice, full, fluffy pom....if you want it a bit straggly, proceed directly to Option A. If you wanna' get funky with it and do some cuts to the folds to create different effects, scroll down past Option A and Option B and return after you do your cuts.  (If you look carefully at the poms in the very first picture, you'll notice that there are notable differences...)

OPTION A: Many short folds   (fold along the width)                             

     Make your accordion folds along the width of the "panel."  Use a 10-12" length of coordinating ribbon to tie off the the center of your gathered folds, as pictured right. I tie it once in each direction to ensure that it's secure, and I leave extra to create a loop for hanging.  

Just so you know, while I used a coordinating ribbon,  you can use whatever you want - twine, zip ties, burlap strips, wire, pipe cleaners.....go wild.   

Now you can either explore and experiment with cuts, or you can proceed to the separating and fluffing stage.                                             

OPTION B: Few long folds (fold along the length)

Accordion folding's not your thing? Don't feel boxed in.  You can make fewer folds with this option, but it adds a few very simple steps to the process.  And the result is the same.  You're welcome.



 Take your long gathered folded stack and fold it in half, as shown on the right. Tie it off in the center with your ribbon, but not too tight yet because you have some cuts to make and you don't want it fanning out yet.

The portions of the "panel" that are no longer open because of this new fold must be freed.  Cut those portions right along the fold as shown to the left.  Proceed to Step 3, unless you want to do some more cutting to change the effect.  If so, keep reading.


STEP 3: SEPARATE & FLUFF



See all these layers just clinging to each other? All you gotta' do now is gently tease each one apart.  It's almost soothing, provided you don't have a dog pawing at you and demanding to be pet.  I had two big ole' fluffy sheepdogs that clearly need their nails cut, but the kids let me be after giving it a go on one portion of one pom. I digress..... but now you have a pom! Just tie off your ribbon into a loop for hanging and your smile is ready!




Feeling Sassy? Cutting Experiments! 

You probably noticed that the poms have different looks - especially since I already pointed it out to you.  (This is a quick "did I pay attention" alert....)

Some look a bit rounded like a rose, some look ruffly like a peony, and some have slightly tubular"petals"like a dahlia. The look you end up with depends on whether or not you make cuts to each end of your accordion folds before you start separating and fluffing.  You can see a few examples of my cutting attempts in these pics...............



Here you can see in more detail how different cuts look all fluffed out......





                                                Hope your poms make you smile, too!
                           And feel free to share your own creative interpretations of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment