Christmas Rosettes - DIY Holiday

It's been one of those weeks, my sassy friends. I've managed to finish a few projects, but I've got a lot more in-progress. I'll try to make up for lost time soon! 

In the meantime, here's a project that I know you're going to love.  I'll give you a quick peek at the finished product:


These are so colorful and fun! They make terrific mantle decorations, and even work really great as large ornaments. I also made some in more muted tones for my sister-in-law (early Christmas present, as promised!). Your final product is limited only by your imagination - and your paper selection. (Speaking of paper, Michael's is having a sale on 12x12 scrap book paper right this very minute: 7 pieces for $1. Go stock up...that's crazy cheap!)

Here's what you'll need to make the paper rosettes:

- 2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper (matching or coordinated - your choice. I'll show you samples of both). 
👀  USE DOUBLE SIDED PAPER if you'll be hanging the rosette so both front and back will be visible. 

- Scissors
- Hot glue gun
- Embellishments for center of rosette
- Sturdy card stock 
- Hole punch (single)
- Ribbon, twine, or yarn for hanging
- Boning knife, ruler, or homemade straight edged tool for creating uniform accordion folds (I used a thin strip from a manilla folder; really rather optional- you can manage without) 

Directions:
1.  Cut each of your 12x12 pages in half. You'll have four total pieces that look like this:

2.  Accordion fold each of the four pieces, like so: 

3. Once you've folded all four pieces, hot glue each piece to the other four pieces, as shown below: 

4.  When you've got all four pieces glued together end to end, it will look like this:

5.  Push the center of the circle down with both hands to gently flatten the circle against your working surface. It will look like a rosette while your holding it down. 
(Please ignore surrounding cluttered mess...I'm a super sloppy crafter.)

6. Hot glue your card stock or other sturdy embellishment to secure the rosette. Folks often use a circle punched piece of coordinating card stock. (I happened to use some doily snowflakes that are perfectly adorable, but too flimsy to make the rosette stay flat. To compensate, I used a piece of political junk mail printed on card stock to secure my rosette from the back, which won't show the way I'm hanging it. See pic below for my little cheat:)  
I also used little wooden snowflakes on some of the rosettes, which were actually hearty enough to keep the rosette in line. This one also shows a rosette made from two different but coordinated papers (antiqued music score & and antiqued script) 


7.  Use single hole punch to allow for hanging. Add ribbon, twine or yarn; now hang up your lovely creations, sit back and admire your awesomeness. 😏

Here's a few pics of my creations, for your inspiration:
How fun and colorful are these?!?!

And here's my more subtle, but equally as adorbs: 
Well, sassy ones- I've shown you mine, now you show me yours! (Don't be nasty, please. Santa's watching you!) What kind of rosettes will you whip up this Christmas?

Stay sassy,
-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment