Snowflake window display

Another crafty day today! I had a hard time choosing which project to highlight tonight, but I decided to go with the project with the highest impact: my picture window snowflake "curtain."  


If you're ready to create your own version, here's what you'll need:

1.  An assortment of snowflakes of various sizes, materials and textures. I bought all of these at the Dollar Tree, in the Christmas decorating section of the store. The largest snowflakes are felt placemats; I also used a few different kinds of the boxed multipack snowflakes of different sizes, as well as foam snowflakes. I would say I spent a maximum of $8 on snowflakes, and I still have some left over for later projects. Here's a quick pic of my snowflake pile....

2.  Fishing line, and scissors to cut your lengths to size. 
3. An ornament hook or similar piece of wire to subtly pierce your foam snowflakes in order to string them with fishing wire. 
4. Something to hang it all from. I hung mine directly from the curtain rod. (I tied each section loosely enough to allow me to slide the sections back and forth...I'll eventually put my real tree right in the center of that picture window, so I need to be able to shift the snowflakes to frame it. 

Directions: 

1. Decide how you want to arrange your first "string" of snowflakes." A somewhat random arrangement looks most appealing. I used the largest flake as the grounding element on each "string" mostly because I expect this will provide a bit more stability, as many of the subsequent snowflakes in the "string" are supported by this larger snowflake. 

2. I suggest you begin by tying your first snowflake directly to it's final support; in my case, the curtain rod, but you could use a branch, command hooks, etc. I completed my first "string" at the dining room table and had a mangled up, tangled up knot of fishing string by the time I took the 10 steps to my living room. Save yourself the hassle! : )

3. Use your fishing line to arrange your first snowflake at the height you prefer, leaving extra line for the next snowflake in the chain. Tie your fishing line to the support. Be sure to tie the line off the way you do with handsewing....loop the end around the tying loop 3-4 times before you pull the knot closed. Otherwise your knots are likely to slip loose. 

4. Continue linking your snowflakes with fishing line according to your design. If using foam snowflakes, gently poke a tiny hole where you'd like to run the fishing line. To get the most visually interesting results, use varying lengths between snowflakes, and don't hang all your snowflakes in a single, descending line. Go for a swirling effect. 

5. Start again for each subsequent "string," ensuring that you alternate heights of each string to keep it impact full. If you really want to get fancy, you could add string lights to the mix and create a really magical display. Or you can quit while your ahead, like I did. Either way, enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by; hope tonight's installment got your creative juices flowing. Just Imagine, you could do something similar with colorful bulb ornaments, with winter florals like poinsettias or mistletoe, or even with a woodland theme. (Imagine strings of cardinals with acorn & pinecones!!) Whats your inspirational interpretation? I'd love to hear your fanciful ideas, and see pics of your final results. 

Until tomorrow, stay sassy, friends!

- Anna



No comments:

Post a Comment