DIY Holiday: Burlap-Covered Monogram Letter

Good evening, sassy ones! Here's my first attempt at creating a large fancy monogram letter for the fireplace mantle for practically nothing. I keep seeing these adorable letters used in wreaths and other holiday decorating, and I decided I want one, too!! Although you can buy premade cardboard or wooden letters at Hobby Lobby or Michael 's, I wanted to try my hand at something a little more....well, free! So I popped by my local Dollar General and got a few cardboard boxes - they always seem to have them on hand, so they're my "go-to" pals! 

I made my letters free-form for this project, and for a few more I've got in the works. I'm sure the letters will improve as I get a bit more accustomed to working with cardboard and box cutters. : ) 

If you're super, duper lucky and you have a digital cutting machine that can handle cardboard, I want to come over and play soon!!!! This project would take mere minutes with one of those bad boys. But for the rest of us unfortunates, here's the drill.....

Materials:

1. Large piece of cardboard. 
2. Marker to draw your letter. (You can use a stencil, or trace a large printed letter of the font of your choice if free-hand letters make you nervous)
3. Razor cutting tool for cutting cardboard. (Make sure you use a cutting mat or work on surfaces you don't mind inadvertently slicing up!!!)
4. Burlap or fabric of your choice. 
5. Hot glue or spray adhesive. 
6. Twine or raffia to attach for hanging. 

Directions:

1. Lay your cardboard out on a work surface that can handle razor blade work. Draw (or trace) your letter with marker. 

2. Use your razor cutting tool to cut your letter. Curves and sudden directional changes are a bit challenging on cardboard, but it's okay if it's not perfect or if some edges get a but raggedy - you're covering it all up with fabric anyhow. 

3. Once cut completely, lay your letter face down on your fabric. Begin initial trim of your fabric, leaving about 1/2 inch of fabric all around the letter in order to wrap all corners and edges. If you have cut outs in your letter, (as in the center of my "A") you will want to trim the fabric accordingly, leaving at least a 1/4 inch of fabric to wrap around the edges. 

4.  Once you've got the fabric "rough" cut for your shape, begin adhering fabric to cardboard. I used hot glue, and it worked great with burlap, as long as you watch your fingers. (Hot glue bleeds right through the open weave of the fabric.) Around curved or irregular edges, you'll need to add extra small cuts to your fabric to allow a neat wrap job. No worries - no one will see the back any how!

5. Lastly, I hot glued a bit of jute twine to the back of the letter for hanging. Now find the perfect spot for it & enjoy!

Here's my creation, joining it's matching DIY stocking partners.... Sorry it's so dark! I'll have to add an update tomorrow during our limited Midwestern daylight hours. 

Thanks for visiting tonight - I'm excited to hear about & see your DIY interpretations! 

Stay sassy,
- Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment